28 February 2011

Ivydale, Cheltenham and Merttins Road meeting report

Tonight we hosted a meeting of concerned local residents living on Ivydale, Cheltenham and Merttins Roads. Residents are very concerned about the shuddering caused to their homes by the 343 buses which drive (often too fast) down these residential roads. There are also major problems with the road surface and the quality of the traffic calming measures.

Below is a list of actions agreed at the meeting.

_____________________________

1. Setting up a community speed watch scheme to report speeding buses
Gavin has been in touch with the local police team to request Community Speed Watch Equipment. Currently awaiting a response from the police team Sergeant. A number of people at the meeting expressed their willingness to volunteer to help with the scheme when it is set up. Action: Gavin to update residents regarding to response to request. Action: Vikki to request from TfL/Abeillo information on what evidence is required in order for action to be taken against speeding bus drivers.

2. Letter to the Mayor, Boris Johnson, regarding buses concerns raised at the meeting. A draft of the letter was distributed. Various comments and suggested changes were made. This included additional community suggestions about changes to the bus services. Action: Gavin to make changes suggested and send letter to Boris Johnson.

3. Letter to the Southwark Council Cabinet Members for Transport and Environment, and Finance about the capital funding needed to improve roads. Vikki has already written to the two cabinet members making the case for funding the work. Action: Individual residents may also want to write individually to the Cabinet Members to make the case for re-surfacing. Contact details can be found here: http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=149

4. Councillors to contact the Police Safer Neighbourhood Team about making reduction of speed on Ivydale, Cheltenham and Merttins Roads a priority. Renata gave an update from the last ward panel meeting. Police Officers had given a number of reasons why it was difficult for them to deal with this issue. Action: As many Ivydale, Merttins and Cheltenham Road residents as possible to attend the next ward Panel meeting on 19th May at 7.00pm at Rye Hill Park TRA.

5. London Assembly Member, Val Shawcross will circulate details of a forthcoming meeting on the 343 bus. Action: Gavin to chase

Other actions agreed:

- Gavin to ask Val Shawcross to request the information on the number of accidents/incidents caused by 343 buses on this stretch of the route.

- Gavin to ask 5 residents who gave their email addresses at last meeting if it’s OK to share them with others on the campaign

- Cllrs to look into existing 106 money that might exist following developments in the Ivydale area and also at how 106 money might be designated from forthcoming developments.

- Kirk circulated a draft survey (the aim of which is help get an agreed position on traffic calming and buses.) Various changes were suggested. Kirk to circulate the survey so that a final version can be agreed

- Dates and times for delivering surveys/knocking on doors to be suggested and agreed – probably best via the email group.

- David Wilson volunteered to be the link person for Cheltenham Road which will have a slightly different version of the survey.

- Following the meeting, Vikki spoke to former cllr Mick Barnard about some of the references to him made at the meeting. He confirmed that there had been plans to reroute the P12 down Kelvington and Ivydale Road but that the focus had been more the potential loss of any bus service to Brenchley Gardens Estate residents. As a result cllrs will use additional services for Brenchley Gardens as a ‘postive’ outcome when asking Boris/Tfl to investigate alternative options on bus services on Ivydale Road. Mick Barnard also confirmed that there had been, in his view, relatively firm commitments that Cheltenham Road would get resurfaced around 2002-2003. Vikki will chase details of this with officers and endeavour to find out why this promise wasn’t delievered on.

25 February 2011

Honor Oak Rec: The latest

There's been lots in the local media recently about the campaign to prevent Honor Oak Recreation Ground from being used as burial ground. As the local ward councillors we wanted to make it clear that we want the area to remain as recreation ground.

I think it's important to clarify two main issues:

- No decision has been made about using the Rec for burial space

- That a full and proper public consultation will take place before any decisions are made – and we will do all we can to make sure that local people's views are heard.

Southwark’s burial space is now very limited and a decision will need to be made in the next few months about the future of burial space provided by the council. Council officers have been asked to investigate the various options open to Southwark, these will be discussed by the Council Cabinet and then the public will be asked what they think and what their preferences might be.

As we feel very strongly about the Rec, and as it’s clear that many in the local community do too, we have met with the Cabinet Member to make clear the strength of feeling on this issue. It was a really encouraging meeting. We have received assurances that the council will properly investigate ALL possible options for the future of burial provision. This will mean consideration of a wide-range of options. Among them are: a full audit of the remaining unused burial space in our cemeteries, the council looking at other sites it could use or acquire for burial and the council investigating alternative burial methods that would use less space/be more sustainable.

The use of all or part of Honor Oak Rec is very likely to be one of the options the council will investigate as this land was acquired by the council for burial. We fully accept the argument that this was in 1901, that times change and that the Rec has become a valuable community asset. However, it would be dishonest to say the Rec will not be considered. Nevertheless, we are keen to stress that this is just one option. It’s simply not true, as some internet posts etc suggest, that Southwark ‘wants’ to turn the Rec into burial space.

Once all options have been investigated the public will be asked for their views. We have been given an assurance from the Cabinet Member that the decision will be led by residents – if it’s clear that the vast majority are against the use of Honor Oak Rec then the council will listen to that.

10 February 2011

Fly-tipping on Peckham Rye Common

A very quick post. Many of you will have seen the building debris that was fly-tipped outside the toilet block on Peckham Rye Common (facing Nunhead Lane). I'd reported it to officers when I saw it from the bus on Monday morning. I've just had an email from them telling me that it has been cleared away (though I've not been down that way yet today). Obviously this is an issue we'll need to keep a close eye on.

4 February 2011

Peckham Rye Playground - work about to start

We're delighted that work on the children's playground by the One O'Clock Club on Peckham Rye is about to start. Delivering this was one of our election pledges so it's great it should be all complete by 31 March, 11 months after becoming councillors.

This was a project that the Lib Dems and Tories failed to deliver whilst they were running the council and which was then at risk as the new Coalition Government clawed back some of the 'playbuilder' money (a Labour Government initiative) secured to deliver the scheme.

It's a bit difficult to provide a picture of the full plans but here goes -
And you can download the full details (better quality/includes pictures of various bits of play equipment) by clicking on the picture or here.
The idea is that the playground is more 'natural' than the current one - a bit like the new Goose Green playground.

Hopefully this is just the start of various improvements planned for Peckham Rye Common and Park.